Sunday, March 10, 2013

Guilt and Blame

Compared to the last story, I really enjoyed Ernest Hemingway's "The Snows of Kilimanjaro." Which is really weird the more I think about it because it does the same thing that I didn't like in "To Build a Fire." This story also points out a flaw in humans. But in this one focuses on one, rather than multiple. This story brings into light the fact that, as humans, we are always blaming the people around us for our flaws.
The man in this story is very bitter over the fact that he is dying and doesn't have time to write all the things he has been putting off. I can definitely relate to that, because it's actually a big fear of mine. The man in this story blames his wife for the fact that he is dying. He blames her for the fact that he stopped writing. He also blames her for the fact that his talent was dwindling away. He basically blames his wife for everything bad in his life.
I thought it was terrible that he was treating his wife like that. He said so many nasty things to her as he was dying. He called her names and he told her he never loved her. Of course I was appalled that he could treat his wife like that. Why, if he never loved her, why did he ever marry her? I was filled with disgust for how he treated her. The sad thing though, it's so true. We blame the people around us for our flaws. We don't always realize we are doing it though. We can never blame ourselves. We can never come outright and say that we are the reason that things aren't going the way we want in life. It always has to be someone else's fault. Of course, his case was more extreme. We don't always go to the extremes that Harry did. He became really nasty and was outright about it. Sometimes we don't even realize that we are doing it. But we do do it. And I think that's why I liked this story so much. It made me realize this one human flaw.

1 comment:

  1. A fascinating reading of this story, Jazmine. I especially liked that you were able to locate the difference between the two stories.

    ReplyDelete